Sunday, April 29, 2007

Trauma

I still can't stop thinking about the kids at the residential crisis center I interviewed at. Most are aged 4 - 12, a few 3 year olds and a few 13 years olds with developmental disabilities; they are primarily foster care kids or former foster care kids (now adopted) who had been so severely physically or sexually abused that they are in need of a crisis placement out of a home to stabilize their behavior.

I haven't worked around kids in a long time. I had forgotten how young 12 is. When I read cases of horrific abuse and the young ages of the kids, I hadn't been able to make that translation to reality. I keep seeing the babies and cannot imagine the abuse that has been done. These kids are just babies is all I can think. They are so young, so small.

No comments: