Friday, April 13, 2007

I closeted myself tonight.

I've become friends with someone in my grad program who is a year ahead of me in the program. We actually met in church, he started attending a few weeks after me and we saw each other across the aisle. He has very similar hair and skin coloring and when I looked at him initially, he reminded me of my father when he was younger. Walking past us on the street, I think many people might think that we were related, brother and sister because of our coloring. A lot of what he says, reminds me of myself. He talks about not being able to be alone and do activities by himself; I used to frequently wish that I were more independent. He is very easy to get along with (I love male nurses; I love men who talk about emotional intimacy and palliative care) and we've been getting to know each other.

Earlier this week in class I was talking about a friend and her girlfriend, and he asked me if I had any straight friends. It was half in jest, but half real. Most of my friends are queer. Tonight we were talking about college and he asked me why I made the decision to attend an all-women's college. This would have been the perfect time for me to say that I chose it because I felt so comfortable there and the reason I felt so comfortable there was that they had a very visible queer group on campus. Then I could have launched into the explanation about how I date both women and men yadda yadda yadda...

But I didn't. I talked about all the other reasons I chose it. I talked about being a feminist and how wonderful it is to be in an arena where strong smart intellectual women are the norm and how you don't need to compete in class to be called on, to be listened to. How wonderful it was to be able to do the experiments in science class without having to force my lab partner to let me do some of it. All of it true, but not why I chose it. I chose it because I wanted to date women, to surround myself with women, and to explore this part of myself. But I didn't want him to know that. I wanted him to keep me in the "normal" category because I admire him. While I'm not particularly attracted to him, part of me wishes that I were.

Because I've felt out of sync with the rest of the world for a long time, part of me wants to be closeted and just step with everybody else. That, and lately I have been only minimally attracted to woman, I've been wanting to get away from my queerness. Or, to have it not be an issue at all. I enjoy the dynamic I have with him. I like the friendly flirtation we do. I don't want to change it. I also don't want an additional person in my life to try to define who I am attracted to. I've had too many friends tell me, "You can't be bi, you're even gayer than me." Or from people I don't know well, "I could never imagine you with a boy. You're so clearly oriented to women." And, occasionally from random people, "but you don't look gay."

But guess what, I am bi. I am attracted to men. I am attracted to women. At different times, I may be attracted to them with different intensity, but that does not preclude the fact that I have been intensely attracted to both men and women. So why didn't I tell him? I didn't want to open the conversation, I didn't want to be different, and I didn't want another person scrutinizing me for evidence of which way I "truly" lean. But, I'm still uncomfortable with my reticence and now, as I get to know him better and better, it will only be harder for me to open up that conversation.

1 comment:

process said...

I think I know how you feel. But it sounds like he suspects and was trying to find out. Sometimes I get tired of being gay, too, but mostly I try to get it over with quickly. You're right about it being harder to come out later.