Wednesday, April 4, 2007

LD testing

I got tested today. While I have to go back in a few weeks for the report, it is sounding as if I do have ADD (without the H) and probably NVLD as well. I don't need accomodations in school, most of my visuospatial skills fell within the range of normal or low normal, but my verbal skills are so high that it is a huge discrepancy.
I was nervous doing the testing. I wanted to do well. I also wanted them to find something, so I could stop blaming myself, for being lazy, unmotivated, disorganized, scattered, lost. I could tell on the tests that I had improved in some ways from before. But there were still problems.
One suggestion they have is for me to use a 'cognitive coach.' There's a neuropsychologist who works with a lot of the NVLD kids at the local ivy league school and Dr. D thinks that will be a big help. I am willing to try it. It'll be interesting to read the full report. It's funny, I got tested initially in college, but never really dealt with any of it. Now it's as if I've grown up enough to really figure out what it means to me and how it affects me. 9 years later. How do kids who are diagnosed at age six ever make sense of it? Is it any easier or do they grow up feeling as if there is something wrong with them? I've felt that way a lot, although I'm moving beyond it now.

No comments: